Bill Validators Frequently Asked Questions
How do I hook up my MEI validator, I have misplaced or did not receive the information on how to do this.
A link to the MEI manuals is available at the bottom of each validator page. This will show the wire harness connections.
Click to see MEI Bill Validators
You may also want to order one of the MEI Harness Kits
How do I connect my validator to a PC?
In the Amusement industry there is usually very little need to connect a validator to a PC COM port via RS232. Generally, the relay "Pulse" interface will suffice. This pulses once for every dollar accepted (once for a $1 bill, five times for a $5 bill, etc.).
The easiest way to connect a validator to a PC is to use the relay output of the validator connected to the COM port in such a way as to generate an interrupt. The customer can then write some software to count interrupts.
There is no validator that will directly connect to a PC and accept bills. There are a few validators with an RS232 option, but these will not communicate with a PC unless the customer can write a software driver to do this. A software driver is required. These validators also do not have a 9 pin D-Sub connector like the COM (RS232) port on a PC so they will not even plug into the PC.
There are many software sources for PC COM port drivers. The rest of the protocol must be written by the customer.
MEI, Cashcode or Happ do not have a software driver. One is available; see MEI note 3 below.
1. Only the USA 1100 and the CND 5100 models support RS232 at this time. An accessory adapter is needed to convert the signals to what will be acceptable levels for a interface to RS232 such as in a PC's COM port.
2. The accessory adapters for the above validators are OPT-XXX-BD9 or BD25. A software driver must still be utilized.
1. Only the AE2600 and the LE3800/3900 series supports RS232 at this time. An external interface is needed to convert the signals to what will be acceptable levels for a interface to RS232 such as in a PC's com port.
2. The External interface for the AE2600 is 250072034. The external Interface for the LE3800/3900 series is 42-7347-00. A software driver must still be utilized.
3. There is a third-party RS232 Developers Kit for the AE2600 validator, Item # 42-7502-00 This contains a driver and interface pcb, but still requires the customer to write some code to implement an application. The Development Kit is expensive, but it is a "one-time buy". After the development is done and an application interface (software) is written by the customer, an interface pcb is all that is needed for each validator. This interface pcb is not one of the above. Contact Happ for info.
Another way to connect to a PC is using the relay output of the validator connected to the COM port in such a way as to generate an interrupt. The customer can then write some software to count interrupts.
Also see: Bill Validator Wire Harnesses
What chemicals are used in the Happ bill card cleaner cards?
Isopropyl alcohol and a special cleaning solution. It is safe for any validator except the MEI Cashfow SC series.
Which MEI Bill Validators support the MDB (Multi-Drop Bus) Interface?
If the MEI part number ends in the letter "M", the validator is supplied an MDB harness. If the MEI part number ends with the letter "E", the standard Pulse Interface harness is supplied. The MDB harness can be purchased separately.
AE2400 series - Does not support MDB
AE2600 and VN2000 115 Vac series - Does not support MDB
AE2600 and VN2000 24 Vac series - Does support MDB
Do you supply or can you get/make a mounting plate for a stackerless validator? No door required.
We have some now for MEI (also fit some ICT) and Cashcode vals. We can make a special one if quantities justify (i.e. 100pcs and up).
Item # 42-7002-00
Why does the Cashflow BV attempt to cycle and stack 3 times and then show a solid yellow LED when inserting a cashbox?
In most cases this is a symptom of dirty cashbox prisms. The Cashflow BV uses an emmitter and receiver to establish communications and has a specific DAC value range. If the DAC value drops below the specified range communication between the head and cashbox are lost. Use some canned air or a Q-tip to clean the lenses on the optics of the cashbox. If excessive dirt is present use water (with mild dish detergent - if needed) to clean the lenses.
It is also a good idea to clean the lenses on the bottom of the Cashflow head
Why does the platform bezel show no acceptance when the Cashflow BV still accepts bills and tickets on Aristocrat games?
The platform bezel configuration loaded on to the I/F card has been lost and defaults to standard bezel type. Reflash the Cashflow BV with the Aristocrat firmware to re-configure, platform bezel will then begin to function properly.
Why are all 3 LED's flashing on the Cashflow head when I install a new head?
All Cashflow BV heads come with factory code on them. When installing a new Cashflow head you will always need to download the latest approved BV firmware for the manufacturer you are installing in to.
How can I turn on or off specific denoms on a Cashflow BV?
There are 2 ways of changing bill inhibit settings. The first way is to use the configuration coupon, the second is to use the STS program on the computer.
1. with #2 lead pencil (ONLY) completely fill in the circles next to the denom
(either ON or OFF) all lines need to be filled out.
2. Push the yellow MMI button on the Cashflow head (next to the LED's)
The green and yellow LED's will flash.
3. Insert the configuration coupon, printed side up. If the head accepts the configuration change you will see a green flash only, if the change is rejected you will see a red flash only. If the coupon is continually rejected try using STS on the computer.
STS on the Computer:
1. with STS program open; connect the USB cable to the Cashflow head.
2. Read the head to see main configuration page.
3. In the config page click the EDIT button in the bill inhibit section. This will open a window that allows you to change the settings for bill inhibit.
4. Make any changes needed, click ok (this will close the smaller bill inhibit window, then click WRITE.
5. Once the write is complete re-read the head to verify bill inhibit changes.